Host a Parish or School Passover Seder
Description: Here’s everything you need for planning and hosting a Seder in your parish or school. This Seder is specially designed to reveal Jewish roots of the Catholic Mass. Even if your parish has held Seders before, this one will be so effective and so easy to plan that you’ll appreciate our unlimited-use license to host the Seder year after year!
Why host a Parish Seder?
The Seder is a Jewish Passover ritual that is the foundation of our Catholic liturgies. It’s an ecumenical, family event, because everyone can participate fully regardless of age or denomination, making it a great parish activity for those who have non-Catholic spouses.
It will be a prayerful and profoundly spiritual event. It will be educational, bringing many of the Psalms to life while giving a new dimension to participants’ understanding of Mass, including why we use bread and wine, the blessings, the thanksgiving prayers, etc. It will capture something of the origins of Judaism and our own Christian roots. It will set the scene for Holy Week in a very special way. It will also be a joyful community event that will provide a good bonding of parishioners.
For more photos from actual events using our Seder Package, scroll down.
This package includes:
- Bulletin flyer (fully editable). download printable preview
- “The Jewish Seder: Roots of our Catholic Mass” bulletin article or hand-out with customizable corner box for advertising the date of your Seder.
- Checklist for Planning the Seder
- Seder Plate and Table Setup instructions on how to set the tables and lay out the ritual foods, with photo illustrations.
- “The Seder Meal” Preparation Booklet
to give to participants when they make their reservations; includes family discussion questions. (8 pages, printed double-sided on 2 sheets, folded in half, and stapled.)
- Suggestions for introducing the ceremony by the Priest or M.C.
- “The Passover Meal” ceremony script (10 pages)
Photos of a Passover Seder using our Seder Package
Participants: Staff of the Diocese of St. Petersburg, Florida – Date: April 2, 2009
Photos by Terri Rick of the Diocese of St. Petersburg
“The Seder went exceptionally well. All of those who attended felt the spirituality of the event and had many good things to say. What a wonderful resource you have provided.” (Theresa Rick)